Sunday, August 16, 2009

My first attempt at dress making!

My brother in Law was getting married and I wanted something special for the girls to wear. I had been looking for weeks but I just didn't like any of the dresses out there! So I got an idea that I could make them! My husband thought I was crazy, Because I wanted to use the material from some old curtains we had. Well the idea blossomed and this is the result!

First I drew up a pattern from a dress Megan had. Then I changed the skirt to look like one someone from church made for her daughter.



Then I saw these great flower headbands online at crewcuts, Jcrew.com! I thought, "I could make those too!" So with a trip to the sewing store for a few odds and ends I was able to make these cute dresses for just a few dollars.



So cute and modest too! I even made one for Megan's American Girl doll. When I get a chance I'll make her a hairbow too! My well rounded motto:
You can't succeed, if you don't try!
Do you have an idea that's been eating away at you? Why not give it a try? You may be on to something!

6 comments:

  1. April - this is AMAZING! I especially love that you made them out of curtain material!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great Job April! They look beautiful (the girls AND the dresses!).

    ReplyDelete
  3. They look fabulous. I always run out of energy before the American Girl gets her outfit.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So cute, I love the drop waist! Look at you making dresses out of curtains- very gone with the wind ;).

    ReplyDelete
  5. I thought it reminded me of Maria. You haven't been singing in trees lately with your children, have you?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, they look absolutely adorable, April! Great job! Very "Sound of Music" of you...I love it!

    ReplyDelete